Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'm a fucking Vigilante

It was her birthday yesterday. The birthday party held in her honour over the weekend was a disaster, caused by non other than the "generous" friend who had offered to throw said party in the first place. Not really the best way to celebrate. Then, to really stir things up, her bike was stolen yesterday. Not cool at all...

Now, here's where the story gets interesting. I also had my bike stolen recently, so I sympathized with her, and offered what seemed at the time to be nothing more than hollow condolences. Bike stolen in Montreal? Fat chance you'll see that baby again, right? Well, apparently not.

Here I am, walking outside on my break at around midnight the night after the aforementioned bike theft. My initial path would have led me far away from the scene of the recovery, but for some reason I took a right hand turn at the last second. It was the kind of last-second turn that makes people think "I wonder what that was about?" (To tell you the truth, I was looking for a depanneur to buy myself a Prime Time, one of those cigarette/cigar hybrids they sell in individual packages. You know the ones I'm talking about.) As I get about a block down the street, I look across to the other sidewalk, and see some kid bike up to a couple of guys in trenchcoats. He's obviously trying to strike some sort of deal with them, but I the bike looks very familiar, so I walk up to him and grab the handlebars before he realizes I'm coming.

'Where did you get this bike, man?" I asked. Now, I'm not a violent person, but at 6'5' and over 200lbs, I'm sure I look like I could be rather violent.

"uh, I found this bike" cam the little shit's lame reply.

I was having no part of this punks attitude. While still firmly holding the handlebars, I kept giving the kid shit and threatening him with calling the cops. None of this seemed to phase him, but as I got more and more agitated I could tell the kid was getting nervous. Finally I demanded to know what he thought he was going to do with the bike.

"Nothing," he said.

"Good, "said I. "Now give it to me"

At this point the little prick decided it wasn't worth a potential stomping from a guy twice his size, so he started asking if he could at least get, and I quote "3 bucks to buy a beer or something." Needless to say, he didn't get shit, and I don't know where he ran off to after that.

What I do know is one girl who's going to get a nice late birthday present from a good friend who just happened to have neglected to buy her something.

No comments: